buy a home, buyer agent, buying real estate, Caring for your home, Fall Home Maintenance, Firethorne, hire a real estate agent, Home Maintenance Tips, home ownership, Katy, Luxury Homes, New Homes, Perry Homes, real estate, Renting, Renting a Home, selling real estate, TX, West Katy
Fall Home Maintenance and Spruce-Up Tips
As summer winds down, this is a perfect time to prepare your home for fall and winter. The little things you do to prepare your home for maximum safety and efficiency will save you tons of money down the road. Start now to save money and get a jump on the season.
1. Change the filters in your home – Air filters should be changed regularly for your central air conditioning system. Also, don’t forget to check and change filters in stove vents, clothes dryers and room fans. Clean air filters will keep allergens down and ultimately keep you, your family and pets healthier. Stock up on filters for the winter months and change them monthly.
2. Drain your hot water heater – If your area has hard water extra amounts of residue and deposits could build up in your water tank. The end of summer is the perfect time to drain your hot water heater and make sure rust is not developing in your tank. If the hot water heater is very old or rusting consider purchasing a newer and efficient one that will be more cost effective.
3. Check your heating system – consider calling a professional to test your system and perform a tune up. Also take time to inspect your ducts and vents. If your thermostat is programmable, change the battery.
4. Check your Fireplace – It’s a great idea to completely clean your fireplace to prepare for more use during the winter months. A chimney sweep will eliminate all the old debris.
5. Check smoke detectors – change batteries regularly or if the unit is old test on a regular bases. If needed replace older units.
6. Gutter Maintenance – check your gutters and clean out debris and leaves. Make sure it is draining properly.
7. Clean your garage and shed – make sure all gas powered equipment has be properly cleaned and maintained. Empty out old gas cans to get rid of old sediments. Put all chemicals in a safe place out of the reach of children and animals.